Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Adventures at Costco

I declare that all mini-vans should always get two parking spaces wherever they go. Just think if we had this law than things like this would not happen!

So it all begins with a loaded Costco cart, two boys, and a parking lot. Conveniently there are no cars parked on either side of my van. Actually the parking lot has plenty of spaces open! Lucky me! Especially since I forgot to take out the double stroller and the single stroller that are in the back. (Note to self remove strollers next time you go to Costco.)

I pull the cart to the open space on the driver's side and loaded up the boys! I noticed a car try to pull in, but seeing my cart the car chooses to park across the aisle. The boys are loaded and the cart is half empty...or is it half full? Anyways, I am putting the groceries in my van and trying to find places to put the stuff between the seats. Here comes another car wanting the space. She begins to wave her arm at me as if to tell me to move out of the way. There are plenty of parking places around so I tell her that I need to finish loading, go park somewhere else.

She yells something out the window about me moving. I yell back, there is a parking place right next to the my van and pointed, or you can wait for me to finish. (By the way there were TWO parking places available next to the passenger side of the van.) I continue to load things in my car. I did have the thought that when I finish I should leave the empty cart in the stall, but the sweet angel on my shoulder told me that would not be kind. I returned the cart to the cart storage thing in the parking lot, and go back to my van.

The lady parks her car next to the drivers side of the van and yells something to me about how I was so rude. I remembered to put my back bone on today, so I yelled back. "You can't treat me that way! There are plenty of parking spaces you could have parked in."

She yelled back that she has a mini-van and she is never that rude to people. I wish I would have told her, "Maybe you should drive your mini-van more, if it makes you a nicer person."

Before I got into my car, I nice Costco customer guy asked me "What is going on?" I explained to him what happened and he laughed saying, What is wrong with the parking space right here? This is her problem, don't let it ruin your day! I guess I wanted to write about my witness so that I could at least be the less crazy person at Costco today! My only regret is that I didn't take a picture of the cars and the parking lot. (My brother Ken always kept a camera in his car.) I thought about using my camera phone, but just wanted to get out of there.

Hope you had a good laugh, because I did.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Way to CTR!! There are way too many things I would have done, like left the cart in the stall while sticking my tongue out at her or just started dancing in the empty stall... I am glad you remembered your backbone :)

Laura said...

I like the dancing idea. That lady is crazy!

Karin said...

Glad you remembered your back bone! I always think of things that are brilliant to say after the fact! I wish you would have said "maybe you should drive your mini van more often, if it makes you a nicer person!"
That would have been great...but then again, what would Jesus do?
Great job Lisa!

Molly L. Phillipps said...

You go girl. Some people have got quite a nerve. You will be my inspiration next time someone tells me I'm rude. Usually, I cower and run away.

Kathy said...

That is so hilarious. Maybe there was something extra special about your spot that everyone wanted to park there. I totally got into a yelling fight at the gas station once, but I'll save that for another time. I've never wanted to give anyone the bird in my life, but I got very close that day.

Joe and Julianne said...

Way to stick up for yourself!

Renae said...

Something about parking that brings out the best in people! When I had 3 little ones, some guy yelled some pretty choice words at me (some of them r-rated) because he wanted my spot and didn't think I was moving fast enough.

P.S. the thought of Sharon dancing around in the coveted parking spot makes me laugh and laugh!